This isn’t our favorite subject to write about, but it’s important to understand what the bible says about lying. So we’ve come up with four of the most telling bible verses about lying to help guide you and keep you, your friends, and your family honest.
Bible Verses About Lying
- Ephesians 4:25
- Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to your neighbor, for we are all members of one body.
- Proverbs 12:22
- The Lord detests lying lips, but he delights in people who are trustworthy.
- Proverbs 6:16-19
- There are six things the Lord hates, seven that are detestable to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked schemes, feet that are quick to rush into evil, a false witness who pours out lies and a person who stirs up conflict in the community.
- Luke 8:17
- For there is nothing hidden that will not be disclosed, and nothing concealed that will not be known or brought out into the open.
- Revelations 21:8
- But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”
- 1 John 2:4
- Whoever says, “I know him,” but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in that person.
These bible verses about lying may seem harsh, but this is God’s word and “thou shalt not lie” is even one of the ten commandments. Share this with your friends; everyone could use a reminder of how harshly God views lying. Unfortunately, we may be writing about lying again soon since it’s such a critical issue in today’s world. If you have a favorite verse that keeps you from lying, comment below so that we can include it in our next article.